Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Google Translate Part 1



Last year I had a Halloween party and while we were playing some games as a family, I looked around and my teenagers were looking at their phones and texting and the adults were doing similarly.  I felt like I should shake everyone down before they came through my door.  The wail from the teenagers were loud and they said that I couldn’t do that. 

I found this video--one of millions on the topic. I’m not saying that it is the best one or even a good one, but it wasn’t long.  I would like you to type your name and then respond on the screen.  Just start typing.  When we have a lot of people, this can be very frustrating.  This platform is ideal for a small group, but a large group can be chaotic.  I wanted you to see how you can edit and work on a document with a group.  I am sure that most of you already use this, but I want to cover our bases with the important tools that we have online.



Kayce this is the discussion for Thursday.  I just sent one for Today.  Look for the invitation for Tuesday with today’s date.  I just barely sent it.

Nathan Clawson: I’ve seen this video before and it always makes me pause and consider how often I stare at my phone.


Kayce Robinson: Sometimes phones can help with social life. In my opinion, I think that people should use phones to help balance their life.

Nathan Clawson:I agree Kayce. Phones and apps can really help with socializing with family. Especially if there is a great distance between you and those you socialize with, etc. It can also boost productivity.

Jessica Gabbitas: This video always makes me rethink about technology, but Kayce is right that you can you use it to balance your life

Nathan Clawson: Hey Jessica, don’t forget to add your name before your text. I think that’s how roll is being tracked? (Not a hundred percent on that one).

Jessica Gabbitas: oops your right, thanks Nathan

Nathan Clawson:You’re welcome! (I’m totally using the copy paste shortcut for my name. I don’t want to type it over and over again, lol.)

Kayce Robinson: In the video, I did understand about how phones is used to balance life, but what I don’t understand is what the video is saying at the beginning.

Nathan Clawson: Let me re-open it real quick and see if I can help. What part was it specifically?

Kayce Robinson: I’ll take a look real fast on the video and see.

Kayce Robinson: I guess the part is on how people are using phones to view on what is important than to someone else. In other words, become selfish, and separate onto anything else.

Nathan Clawson: I gotcha. So at 1:54 in the video he talks about how attention spans are shrinking, which means we are paying less and less attention to people who we actually physically talk with (my opinion). And I think the idea that all of those devices he listed and words he said like Ipads and Selfies. The verbage is a lot of ME. Some might consider that a bit flimsy, but I think it’s important to note the words we use to describe things. He’s saying that without more “We” and “us” that the inevitable end is more selfishness (again, my opinion).

Kayce Robinson: OK then. Hey Jessica, if I ask what is your opinion, on my previous part above.
Jessica Gabbitas: What I understood from the video is that you can get so focused on your phone, computer, etc… that you stop focusing on what is important and what is around you. By focusing on your phone or computer you are focusing on you rather than those around you.

Jessica Gabbitas: I have found myself guilty of doing that myself, because I love photography. Sometimes I catch myself taking photos rather than just experiencing the moment.


Nathan Clawson:I’m always impressed with people, like Ioi, who already have their life balanced out. Seems like I’m always trying to get the scales just right :)



Kayce Robinson: I do sometimes focus on things on my computer than to other things. But like I said above, I am trying to keep my life balance, so that many things that I take (my opinion) won’t become more chaotic.

Jessica Gabbitas: I am usually pretty balanced, but I still always have to work on it.

Kayce Robinson: Are we the only people showing right now for this meeting?

Jessica Gabbitas: so far it looks like it
Kayce Robinson: Hey Nathan. I don’t remember if our professor told us this or not, but do you know what time we get done with this meeting.

Nathan Clawson: She said it should only take about a half hour I believe. I can’t remember where I read it at. I think the purpose is just to show how we can all join and edit the same document.

Kayce Robinson: That’s fine. I’m in no rush, it’s just that my last homework assignments have gotten so chaotic, so I trying to find some time to work on the Google Translate before next Tuesday.

Nathan Clawson: I hear you. This semester has been a real struggle for me so far. I think we’ve accomplished what the task wanted us to do (edit the same doc) I’m a little surprised that there are only three of us that showed up though. And I kinda thought Prof. Hibbert would be on here as well. Though nothing suggests that she would as far as I can find.

Kayce Robinson: It’s 4:28 PM now. So do you suggest we wait for maybe 5 mins for somebody to show up.

Jessica Gabbitas: I’m surprised about that as well Nathan. I assumed the professor would be here also. I’m glad she had another day besides Tuesday though, I had to work.

Nathan Clawson: I had to work to Jessica, and I had class at the nine o’clock scheduled one, which brings me around to Kayce. So, last I saw, Tuesday was supposed to be scheduled for 9 and then got changed last minute to 4. I’m slightly worried that THIS ONE is now supposed to be at nine, but we did get on and do what we need to do for the assignment. . .

Kayce Robinson: Maybe, our Professor is having a tight schedule right now (my opinion maybe)

Nathan Clawson: I believe it. Teachers can be spread pretty thin. So I think what I’m going to do is download this one as a PDF and let that be good enough. I don’t want someone coming along later accidentally deleting things (just being cautious) and then if I have the time I might pop back in at nine, but I have class at that time so I doubt I can do that.

Kayce Robinson: OK. So is there anything else I can do at this time for Part 1.

Jessica Gabbitas: I think we did what the assignment was needing, so I’ll probably download it also. I might come back at nine, it just depends on homework

Nathan Clawson: I think that’s the best call. I just read the assignment again and it seemed to be just typing a discussion out on google docs, of which we now have three solid pages. I think we’re good. :)


Kayce Robinson: I tell you what, I’ll ask the Professor and see if their is a 9:00 pm meeting today.

Nathan Clawson: Awesome. Can you CC Jessica and myself on that email please?

Kayce Robinson: What do you mean “CC”?

Nathan Clawson: Sorry, Google got rid of that it looks like. Just include us on the “To:” line when you send it. (I use Outlook all day for work and that has a CC and a BCC line on every email. Sorry for the confusion).

Kayce Robinson: All right then, I’ll email the Professor right away. See you later.

Jessica Gabbitas: thanks Kayce, you both have a good day

Nathan Clawson: Thanks very much, it was a pleasure talking with the two of you.

Conor MacDonald: I thought there was a time for 9:00 PM for this paper also but I have not seen an invitation it’s about 8:50 now, Tuesday there was an invite to edit already. From reading the above messages this may of been something I missed while at work. I figured I may as well add to this anyway. Maybe the interactive part was only for yesterday (fingers crosses) and we just had to get here and say something. I think Prince Ea has a truly respectable standpoint. We live in an age of technology. But don’t let technology be all that our age has. I have watched dozens of his videos and they are all well put together concerns or opinions. It’s always good to get to see some of his work!

Using the phone and the social media is not problem to my life because I am cognitive what i do. I know how to balance my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment